Atlanta Divorce Attorney & Family Lawyer for Georgia
Atlanta Divorce Law Firm
Hire Joseph McClelland for Your Case
Are you facing a divorce and are not exactly sure about the next steps? Are you wondering how the law divides property and debts between the two of you? What about the kids? Who gets custody and who pays child support? How are the holidays divided for visitation? An Atlanta divorce attorney has your answer.
I can help you complete your divorce without all of the extra drama. Give us a call if you have a question about the next steps.
What We Do
Our attorneys can focus the issues and provide you with right advice when you need it right here in Atlanta, Georgia.
Contact us today to make this time in your life easier at (770) 775-0938.
- Grandparent’s rights in Atlanta, Georgia
- Military families in Georgia
- Annulment of the marriage in Fulton County, Dekalb County and more.
- Separate Maintenance proceedings in Fulton County, Dekalb County and more.
- Same-Sex Marriage in Georgia
- Modification of child support, visitation, custody, and alimony
- Contempt Actions in Fulton County, Dekalb County and more.
- Adoptions in Fulton County, Dekalb County and more.
- Gay and Lesbian Family law
- Stepparent adoptions in Atlanta, Georgia
- Legitimation and Paternity in Fulton County, Dekalb County and more.
- Temporary Protective Orders in Atlanta, Georgia
- Termination of Parental Rights
- Pre and Postnuptial Agreements in Atlanta, Georgia
- Third Party Custody
- Child Custody, Visitation & Support in Fulton County, Dekalb County and more.
What Does a Georgia Divorce Cost?
We charge by the hour and make sure that we are transparent with no surprises.
How Long Does it take?
It takes between one month and 2 years depending on the circumstances.
Contested Divorces in Atlanta
Do You Have to Go to Court?
In Atlanta courts, it depends if it is a contested or uncontested divorce and what the issues are.
What if My Spouse Is in the Military?
Our Atlanta family law firm can help you if you or your spouse are in the military.
Can You Modify Child Support in Atlanta?
Yes, you can modify child support under certain conditions.
In Which County Would I File?
Depends. The county in which they reside is the proper county to file. As an Atlanta, Georgia family law attorney, I can guide you on all of your divorce law questions.
If you both agreed, and had an uncontested divorce, then you choose to file in Fulton or Dekalb. (770) 775-0938
- Make the decision
- Hire a divorce lawyer that knows Georgia law
- Take action
What are the grounds for divorce?
- Mental incapacity at the time of the marriage;
- Impotency at the time of the marriage;
- Force, menace, duress, or fraud in obtaining the marriage;
- Pregnancy of the wife by another man, at the time of the marriage;
- Adultery is a ground in the State of Georgia;
- Willful and continued desertion for one year;
- The conviction of either party for a term of two years or longer;
- Habitual intoxication;
- Cruel treatment;
- Incurable mental illness;
- Habitual drug addiction; and
- The marriage is irretrievably broken.
Can I get alimony?
Alimony in Georgia
(a) Alimony is an allowance for the support of the other party when living separately. It is either temporary or permanent. (b) A party shall not be entitled to alimony if the separation was caused by that party’s adultery or desertion.
(a) After a hearing, the court may grant temporary alimony, including expenses of litigation; (b) The judge shall consider the peculiar necessities created for each party; (c) At a hearing for temporary alimony, the merits of the case are not in issue.
(1) In cases of divorce; (2) In cases of voluntary separation; or (3) Where one spouse is abandoned or driven off.
Amount of Alimony
(a) Factors determining the amount of alimony to be awarded, if any: (1) The standard of living established; (2) The duration of the marriage; (3) The age and the physical and emotional condition ; (4) The financial resources; (5) Time to acquire sufficient education or training; (6) The contribution to the marriage; (7) Earning capacity and liabilities; and (8) Other factors.
Generally, obligations for alimony shall terminate upon remarriage. This is always a proper defense.
Child support is calculated by formula. There are certain deviations from the actual number obtained from the calculator, but judges do not like to deviate.
For more information on child support and the division of marital property, contact my office. Hire us as your lawyers.
Our law office represents clients in Marietta, Atlanta, Decatur, Stockbridge, Conyers, Stone Mountain, Jones Creek, Buckhead, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Dunwoody and more.
What is Uncontested?
An Atlanta uncontested divorce is when both parties, Husband and Wife, agree on the division of any property gained during the marriage, division of debts accumulated, custody of the kids, paternity, that child support will be paid, and on all other issues.
An uncontested divorce in Atlanta is the fastest, least expensive, and the least emotionally stressing way to get a divorce in Georgia. It is about how you approach the case that matters. Contact family law attorneys today at (770) 775-0938.
I have represented men successfully, as well as women, in disputed custody battles and family law cases. I represent clients is easy, quickie Atlanta divorces to more complicated, disputed litigation in this practice area. I am your Atlanta divorce lawyer.
Important Court Addresses
Fulton County Courthouse
136 Pryor Street SW
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
Now you know the answers:
Are you facing a divorce and are not exactly sure about the next steps? Are you wondering how the law divides property and debts between the two of you? What about the kids? Who gets custody and who pays child support? How are the holidays divided for visitation? Atlanta divorce attorneys have your answer.
We can help you with other legal issues. We are ready to be your Atlanta credit repair lawyer and your attorney to fight the credit bureaus. This is complex litigation.